Sunday, April 1, 2007

And they're off...

I'm not entirely sure why I'm starting a blog . . . again . . .

A few years ago I started one. It persisted for about a year. I got bored, life became too mundane, or other things grabbed my attention. I never made it a habit. I wasn't a dedicated blogger and I wasn't sure anyone really cared what I wrote about. I didn't realize until long after I ceased writing that I was getting more out of it than I realized. It was fun, engaging, and perhaps even a little therapeutic.

Now, it seems as though each day's sunrise brings with it the opening of a new chapter in life. Consequences are more vivid, whether they are desirable or not. The possibilities are becoming more endless than they ever have been and taking a leap into something doesn't seem as daunting as it once was. Oh, beautiful, treacherous life. What wonderfully awesome webs we weave with this spool of thread we've been given.

You'll have excuse me if and when I employ overused metaphors in my writing. As I stumble along on the road to finding my "style" again, I would hope their use diminishes.

Why am I starting another blog? I think, ultimately, it helps me process thoughts, even as pedestrian as these scribbles may be. Tap-dancing between current events, philosophical musings, the Daily Grind™, or the plight of acquaintances, I might hope to reconcile some things in my own mind.

And, hey, if you get anything out of it . . . well, that's just gravy. ;)

1 comment:

Nick Ritchey said...

Hey Derek,

Will be fun to read your thoughts. I'm kinda nosey like that ^_^

Use all the metaphors you want... I'll re-use them on my students ^^

Take care,
Nick